Pages

Saturday, December 3, 2011

A rant for customers of pharmacies everywhere!!!

I have something to get off my chest...I am guilty of this as well but after so many nights of seeing my husband return home from a job he truly loves, helping people who most appreciate him, and others just are demanding and ostentatious.  He is stressed to the max and I just have to at least vent even if nobody reads it.


Being a "former" health care worker *CNA in a nursing home*, and now being the wife of a health care worker, for those that do not know, my wonderful husband J.R. is a Registered Pharmacist.  I worry so much about the pressure that is put on him and all the pharmacists and techs where he works and I am sure this happens in ALL pharmacies these days.   Short staffed, closed quarters work spaces etc.   But my issue is with the fact that so many people that go into a pharmacy or any store these days.  They want everything right this second.  Without a thought to what it takes to do your task.   I am speaking strictly from my own perspective as a CNA and what I see happening with J.R. and his co-workers.   I am not unsympathetic that when someone is sick they just want to feel better.   I get that....What I think the public needs to get is that if your doctor felt you needed a medication within the time it takes you to get to the pharmacy and walk in the door....then he would have hospitalized you.   Just sayin!!    


This week the pharmacy implemented a brand new computer system, to which all of the pharmacists had 1 day of training a couple of weeks ago.  From what I have seen and heard, the system is, let's say not as efficient as was thought it would be.   That is neither here nor there.   There have been signs hanging up all over the pharmacy that they were implementing this and that there could be significant wait times due to the newness, etc.....Can anybody read anymore???     


My worry is for the safety and health of my husband first and foremost along with his co-workers.  Secondly that safety and health of the patients who are in such a rush to get their medications, that it puts unneeded stress on those behind the scenes.  They are not only trying to please customers who want everything 10 minutes ago.  But the slow and unfamiliar system which they are trying to navigate.   For this they forgo bathroom breaks, they don't get a lunch break or a smoke break or even a break to get a drink of water.   J.R has come home dehydrated and stressed and hungry so many nights I worry for the health of his vital organs.   He isn't a Spring Chicken but I love him and so do our kids.  
   I realize that many people respect his knowledge and his customer service skills are off the charts awesome!!   But people.... can the man pee or get a drink of water for goodness sakes???    He is making sure you have what you need, and making every effort to get it to you as fast as he can and most of all ACCURATE!!   Because, if you got the wrong drug you would be there in a heart beat wanting to know how and why this happened, who was going to fix it, and heaven forbid if you got real sick from it you would want legal action or some compensation for your pain and suffering.  I know I would if that happened to me or my loved ones.  My prayer for today is that not just today, tomorrow or next week....but everyday whenever we need something from a pharmacy, doctor, nurse, CNA, or whatever service person.  Know that they are doing what needs to be done to get that done for you, cut them some slack, let them do their job in a safe manner that isn't risking their lives as well.  They have families that love them too!!  
  
Like I said in the start of this post, I too have been guilty of this, when my kids are sick I want them better 10 minutes ago.  But being in the health care scene, I understand that we must let them do the job that they have been trained to do!! 


Please be kind....be patient....Love your pharmacist!!!  I certainly love mine because he is not just my pharmacist, but he is also my husband and I would like to have him on this Earth many years beside me.   


Selfish??  Yes I am...and you would be too if it were your loved one!!  He dedicates his life to helping you on a daily basis...take a second and help him back.  :)  


Enough ranting....just had to get it off my brain!!!  






4 Love is patient; love is kind; love is not envious or boastful or arrogant 5or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; 6it does not rejoice in wrongdoing, but rejoices in the truth. 7It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. I Corinthians 13:4-7

No comments: