Pages

Saturday, December 31, 2011

Holiday time


The holidays are always a busy time in every family.  Ours is no exception.  With the purchasing of gifts.  Wrapping them and all the social invitations we accept or plan to have it's no wonder that by the time Jan 1 rolls around everyone is just tired, stuffed full of all the foods we shouldn't really eat and our bank accounts are barren once again.   But, we do it over and over again.  Year after countless year.  Now I am not saying I don't love giving and receiving gifts.  I love to give gifts to people, almost as much as I love to cook for people!    


This year was our first Christmas as husband and wife.  It holds a special place in my heart also because it was the first time my mother came to Iowa to visit us, along with her first time meeting J.R.    It wasn't as stressful as I had thought it would be.   I find as I grow and mature I don't put as much value on "impressing" people anymore.   Now I know what you are thinking..."Why would you have to impress your own mother?"   Well I have always felt that somehow I was just not good enough in her eyes.   I knew she loved me and that she thought I was good.....just always had that inkling in the back of my brain that she thought I just wasn't good enough.   Crazy right??    LOL


Well this year I didn't go out of my way to try to impress her.  I did what I do every day.  J.R. is the same way and it is just one of the countless things I love about him.   He is who he is, he is comfortable with who he is, he loves me and the kids and isn't afraid to show it or tell anyone about it.   He sure is a special kind of guy!!


So, the visit was good.  We were all pretty worn out by the time the week was over.  But I feel blessed that we all had a good time.  


Now that New Years Eve is upon us.  I am pulled into the thoughts of what will the New Year bring for all of us?  

Now that Shelby is 18 years old and is pondering college vs. working and eventually moving out on her own.   I am happy and sad all at the same time.  The mix of emotions is just overwhelming at times.  But I know I will just deal with them as they come up. 


The kids are really working hard to become better people, to mature in a way that I pray will bring them through rough patches in their lives as they grow older. 


I am hoping that J.R's job gets less stressful and that we can all live harmoniously and well balanced lives.  


I want to lose weight and get healthier this year. We hope to be able to take a trip to Massachusetts at some point.  Not sure if that will happen this year or not, but we definitely have it on our list of things we want to do.  


My goal for our family is less "wanting" and more "giving to others".   We have so much and so many have so little.   We are blessed beyond measure. I want my kids to know how fulfilling it is to give back. 


HAPPY NEW YEAR to all who read my silly little blog.   I do tend to ramble on and on.   May 2012 bring peace, love & prosperity to all of my friends and family  far and near!!




4 Love is patient; love is kind; love is not envious or boastful or arrogant 5or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; 6it does not rejoice in wrongdoing, but rejoices in the truth. 7It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. I Corinthians 13:4-7

No comments: