Pages

Monday, January 16, 2012

More yummy freezer recipes

Who doesn't like a warm cinnamon roll fresh out of the oven?   Sure we go out and buy them at the store, warm em up in the microwave, all the while hoping they will taste like the "from scratch" ones we had that one time.   
For a long time I didn't like to try such things.  Afraid that they wouldn't come out tasting light and fluffy with just enough cinnamon sugar and yummy glaze over the top.  
Well I have the answer to all those who think they can't make a good cinnamon roll.  Before I give you the recipe I am going to say I have to give credit where credit is due.   I got this recipe from a friend in a MOPS (mothers of preschoolers) group I once belonged to when my kids were little.   Evelyn H. I owe these all to you lady!!   Your recipe has earned me praises from my family and for that I Thank You!!  :)


Cinnamon Rolls
3/4 cup white sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup butter  (1 1/2 sticks)
2 eggs beaten
6 cups flour
1 tbsp dry yeast (I buy the quick rise in the jar)
1 cup warm water
1 cup boiling water 


*Filling*  
brown sugar and cinnamon (I don't measure this but approximately 1/3 cup sugar)  Cinnamon as much as you like about 2 tbsp or so I would guess. 


*frosting* 
powdered sugar (about 2 cups)
Unsweetened vanilla almond milk  (start out with just a couple of tablespoons and work it in till smooth and consistency you like)
vanilla extract  1-2 tsps depending on taste you like.


Place white sugar, salt and butter into mixing bowl.  
Pour boiling water over top of butter, sugar salt mixture
place yeast into 1 cup of warm water and let rise (I sometimes add a pinch of sugar to this)  
Add 2 cups flour and the beaten eggs to first mixture, then add yeast, then add the rest of the flour.
mix thoroughly.  Do not remove the dough from the mixing bowl.  Place in a draft free place to rise.
When dough is double in size, punch it down and let rise again till double.
You can stop now or you can let it rise another time.  I often let it rise 3 times before rolling it out.   
Dough will still be a little sticky so I place a piece of parchment on my counter and flour it lightly before laying out the dough. 
Roll out the dough into a rectangle about 1/8 in thick.   
Sprinkle with some milk or cream.  (* I use vanilla almond milk*)
sprinkle sugar/cinnamon mixture on top of milk.
roll using the parchment to help roll more evenly.  
cut into 1 - 1 1/2 in slices and place in greased pans.  Let rise again till doubled and bake at 350 degrees about 20 minutes. 


Drizzle glaze on while still warm.  ENJOY!! 


**if you want to freeze these, slice them and lay them in a ziploc baggie flat and lay flat in freezer till firm.**  to bake place frozen rolls in greased pan and let rise till double, bake at 350 for 20 minutes.**  



4 Love is patient; love is kind; love is not envious or boastful or arrogant 5or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; 6it does not rejoice in wrongdoing, but rejoices in the truth. 7It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. I Corinthians 13:4-7

No comments: