Pages

Monday, January 3, 2011

21 DAYS

I heard that it takes 21 days to form a habit.   So, with that in mind I am starting my own 21 day challenge.
With it being a New Year and all, I thought to myself, "what better way to get rid of some bad habits and replace them with new and healthier ones.   It won't be easy I am sure, but I know I need it more than ever.  What do I need?, you ask....well I need structure, routine and to get my life organized from the ground up.  The past 6 months I have either been on bed rest, recuperating from surgery, or just plain being lazy and flying each day by the seat of my pants.  No structure, no plan.   My kids have felt this as well and are acting out accordingly as kids will do.   I know this isn't the only reason, but I know it certainly doesn't help things any.
So, 2011 is going to be a much better year, and already is in many aspects.   Putting this down in writing gives me a way to be more accountable, more in control of it all.  So here we go.....

1. Healthier eating for everyone ~  This means better shopping done by me.  More homemade meals where I control what goes into things.  Healthier snacks for the kids, more fruits, veggies and yogurts.  Making healthier breakfasts for the family and taking the time to sit down to family breakfast everyday, (with J.R.'s new job he might have to work past dinner time, so he won't always be here for dinner.)   Also, making dinner time at a certain time nightly, none of this up and down and all over the place...remember the key is structure!!

2. Be more active ~ I am developing a workout based on  some of my PT exercises.

3. Teach kids to be more responsible ~ This one isn't going to be easy, but we know it will be do-able.  Up until this point if I asked them to clean their rooms, they would go in and move things around, not always putting them where they need to be.   I would then go in and re-do what they did.  I am realizing that this isn't allowing them to take pride in a job well done, it isn't encouraging them to take care of their things or teaching them to be responsible, helpful members of this family.   So, chore lists will be made up for each person.  (Shelby has stated in  Family counseling that if I make her a list of things to do, she can tackle it more easily than me nagging her all day about things.   We have been trying it and it works with her.  So it might work on the other two kids.)  

4. Re-establish our "Family Rules" board ~ We have had a board with Family Rules on it since we moved in together, well over a year ago.   We need to revisit this board and make the rules clearer and set some consequences for actions that don't go in line with the rules we all agree on.   Also, we have had a swear jar, and I am one of the worst culprits of cussing in this house, and I can't expect the kids to stop if I don't.  So that will also be re-enforced along with "allowance" for each child based on their performance of daily and weekly chores that we all agree on.


I know there are only 4 things on this list, but I think it will be a great start, and we can always add on as time goes by and the need arises.
It is time to get our lives moving in a positive direction.  We are a family, and family is important!!!!

No comments: