Pages

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Elizabeth

On Sunday afternoon, approximately 5pm.  Elizabeth (my youngest child) dove for a frisbee thrown by her older brother Ryan.   That dive will go down in the memory album because she fractured her elbow doing that dive.  OUCH!!!

I took her to the ER here in town and after examining 5 different x-rays.  The conclusion was made that she broke her elbow and that we had to transport her to the University of Iowa hospital ER to have the Orthopedic docs fix it.  No food or drink in case they have to operate.   YIKES!!  I was thinking to myself, "there are no bones protruding anywhere...what has happened to my poor little girl"!!    We had no idea what to expect or what they would do when we got there.   We were informed that elbow fractures often have to be surgically set.  but after looking at her x-rays, hers was fractured in what they said was, "the good way".  LOL
So no surgery to set it, but she was in so much pain, they gave her some morphine which took the edge off a bit. The anxiety of it all I think excaserbated her pain levels.   After attempting to start casting her arm, she was so upset that they just decided to go ahead and put her under light sedation just to cast it.   She did awesome!!  She woke up and it was done.   She was pleasantly surprised!!  
It was a long night but she has a cast and is doing pretty good in my estimation.  Considering she has never broken anything before, she is a tough cookie!!   So proud of her.

We go back again on Monday, which will make it 1 week after the break.  Not sure what they will do, but hopefully it won't be too traumatic for her.  

I will post pics as soon as I get them uploaded from my phone.  :)

No comments: