Pages

Sunday, May 24, 2009

A great gift...


I am in awe on a daily basis of what a wonder children are. I was so excited to see this, my 5 yr old typing stories on our extra computer. It isn't hooked up to the internet and it has limited game playing activities...so it is basically used for the kids to write stories or us the Paint program. I am so blessed to have children that love to read, draw, and write stories. So many times I worry that I am letting them watch too much TV and play too many video games. As I said in a previous blog I am not a perfect parent and yes I will admit that I let them watch way too much TV and play too many video games. But, I also think that they need these experiences in order to make choices. I believe it helps to encourage creativity to introduce them to all kinds of media. My son loves video games, but he loves playing outdoor sports just as much, he seems to have a balance that alot of kids don't have ...they are either one way or the other (active or not so much) nowadays. I often wish I had half of the energy that they have the go till they drop....but that was one of the best things being a kid.....going till you drop and getting up and doing it all over again. Worries and cares are not an issue.....they just PLAY and laugh and have fun.
I have been trying to PLAY more lately as well....I have heard the saying about what would your headstone say if you died today? Do I want mine to say...."she kept a clean house but didn't know how to laugh?" NO....I don't. I want mine to say "Wife, Mother, sister, friend....always there, always cared.....lots of fun you will be missed dearly". Is that a bit ego inflating? Well maybe it is....I want to make my mark on this world just like anyone......I want it to be a positive mark and something to be remembered. Even if it is only by a few very special people.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am constantly saying that I wish I had just one-quarter of the energy that my 3-year old has. :)

In the quest for the headstone *saying*, don't forget this one by a man named James Dean (I'm sure you've heard of him...who hasn't? LOL):

"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today."

Simple, but quite profound!

Melissa said...

I love that saying. I also like..."dance as if nobody is watching"...not sure who said it but I heard it somewhere. LOL Thanks for all the comments, it means alot. HUGS